Monday, January 30, 2012

That one time my Dad talked to me about anime


My mother and sister are both into anime. They don't hunt out shows or films to watch on their own, but they're more than willing to check out whatever content I bring their way. I actually just got my sister to wrap up Angel Beats, which she absolutely loved. I really love sharing anime with my family members, but my Dad has always been the odd man out.

He just doesn't seem to have any interest in anime, or most animation for that matter. He likes old cartoons, but hasn't watched a new cartoon in a very long time. I don't know what it is that keeps him from checking out animated features, and I don't think he knows either. That's why I was so surprised to hear from him this weekend concerning anime.

I don't know what channel he was watching, but he happened to see a commercial for the Disney release of The Secret World of Arrietty, which is a Studio Ghibli. He caught the commercial and it really happened to catch his eye. He liked it so much that he actually called to ask me all about it. Looks like he's finally found an animated film he actually wants to see, and it's anime at that!

When was the last time you had a parent show interest in anime? Are your parents into anime or do they have really misguided ideas as to what it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment